Advocacy is an activity by an individual or group that aims to influence decisions within political, economic, and social systems and institutions. Advocacy can include many activities that a person or organization undertakes including media campaigns, public speaking, commissioning and publishing research or conducting exit poll or the filing of an amicus brief. Lobbying (often by lobby groups) is a form of advocacy where a direct approach is made to legislators on a specific issue or specific piece of legislation. Advocacy in all its forms seeks to ensure that people, particularly those who are most vulnerable in society, are able to:
- Have their voice heard on issues that are important to them.
- Defend and safeguard their rights.
- Have their views and wishes genuinely considered when decisions are being made about their lives.
- Advocacy is a process of supporting and enabling people to:
- Express their views and concerns.
- Access information and services.
- Defend and promote their rights and responsibilities.
- Explore choices and options
Islamic Research Institute of Social Sciences (IRISS) offers a key role in the advocacy of the important issues prevalent in the society. It has a multi-pronged approach regarding its line of action. It creates awareness among the common man regarding issues at public level and it also provides policy recommendation to the institutions and other decision making authorities at government level to enable every stake holder of the society to play its role in dealing with the problems and providing practical solutions to overcome these issues.